Friday, October 9, 2009

So ASCEND's Annual Gala was amazing. I was so inspired by the generosity and spirit of humanitarianism displayed by the community, and I was extremely impressed by the professional appearance of the Gala- from the displays to the cuisine, all the minute details were efficiently handled.

Most of my night was spent in the Silent Auction, and I couldn't believe how many fun things we had up for bid (I was eyeing the 1 Free Pizza From the Pie gift certificate, yum). It was a great night, and everyone pulled together to make it a fun and enlightening experience (oh and lucky me! The volunteers got some great food!).

The official verdict: Best. Gala. Ever. Until next year, that is. . .

So I'm excited for two very cool things that we're doing:

1) Funfest. Need I say more?

2) Daybreak - One of SLC's communities is considering a sister-community program. I think sister programs are ingenious - they not only encourage cross-cultural engagement and understanding, but they also take that extra step and foster a sense of community. I've always admired Salt Lake City for partnering with Matsumoto, Japan and have enjoyed researching how the two cities have connected and what they've shared over the decades. So, needless to say, I am VERY excited to see where this one goes. . .

Before I go, here's some food for thought:

"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

No comments:

Post a Comment